Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sylvia Plath

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/books/24plath.html

I actually found this article when I was researching Plath's poems. I took a literature course last year and that was my first time reading Sylvia Plath's poems. My instructor told the class that Plath took her own life by sticking her head in the oven. I thought that was just a horrible way to kill yourself. I found this article about her son who committed suicide in 2009. He was also a poet. He suffered from depression and attempted suicide before just like his mother. I also found out that his step mother also commited suicide and killed her own daughter six years after Plath killed herself. I have to imagine that these are horrible memories, but I wonder why it seems to be a never ending cycle.

I also noticed that many of these poets committed suicide. 3 of the 4 confessional poets we are reading right now committed suicide. I wonder why. I know all of them suffered from depression and some of them were heavy drinkers but what pushes to the edge. These are very intelligent people so how do they get to the point of killing themselves and even in such horrible ways like Plath.

Dianna

No comments:

Post a Comment