Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tillie Olsen

I enjoyed reading the story "I Stand Here Ironing". Although it was kind of sad. I imagine many women went through the same thing during the Great Depression, and even many women going through it now. Many women then and now have to work very hard and do not have the time to give their children the attention or even the affection they need. One part of the story that really caught my eye was that Emily was the only one of her children to be beautiful at birth. I thought after reading this part that Emily was going to be shown some favoritism. It was not like that at all. I think the mother wanted to but circumstances caused her not to be able to. Even so she seemed to decide right then at the ironing board that she wanted Emily to strive for better and that she is more than what has happened in her childhood and that the past does not make her. I think sometimes people use their past as an excuse. I think the mother in this story was saying that. When she said "She is a child of her age, of depression, of war, of fear." It was almost as the mother was making excuses for her, even though the mother knew Emily had much in her.

Dianna

No comments:

Post a Comment